RESEARCH JUSTIFICATION YEAR ONE INTERDISCIPLINARY RESEARCH STUDIES
Research Topic: Gaming addiction Chosen Area of Focus: Computer gaming addiction in SST secondary 1 students
1. Framing our research topic Our chosen area of focus is “Computer gaming addiction in SST secondary 1 students”. We have chosen this topic as most of us do play game. Our parents or teachers sometimes say that we are spending too much time on the computer playing games when our grades drop in our tests or examinations. And we can’t help but agree sometimes as we use up time that could have been used for more purposeful activities. It has been found that quite a lot of students “who play a lot of computer games spent less time studying and scored lower grades than those who were not busy playing with their friends online”. Possible reasons for problems related to computer gaming addiction are spending too much time in front of the computer playing games that are popular, that are sometimes online or on severs. The disadvantage are that they lack sleep and/or rest, thus it affects their performance at school. They may be causing their health to deteriorate, for example their eyesight may suffer, their physically well being due to sitting in front of the computer all day long.
2. Reasons for choice of topic a. We have chosen this topic, as we want to find out more about how excessive computer gaming can affect our studies and why do we spend lots of time on gaming.
b. This allows us to fulfill the requirements of the project task as the project task looks at excessive computer gaming from a bad point of view, as it is, which is also what we will be doing.
c. This topic benefits the students as people will know the limit and will know when they play computer games and students know how to game while limiting themselves while still dealing with work at the same time.
3. Feasibility of the research
a. There is a need for our research, as many people do not know when to stop the moment they start playing computer games, especially students. Hence, our research can help to let these people know when to stop.
b. It is possible to carry out and complete the project, as there are many students in the school that we can survey on and interview.
c. The proposed course of action is logical and realistic as it can be completed with the help of some students who would be willing to do a survey and with our hard work and group effort.
d. The research provides sufficient opportunity for generation of ideas, as we will constantly have to think of ways to do certain things in the project. As for analysis and evaluation of ideas, we will certainly have many opportunities to analyze information and evaluate ideas on how to go about deciding what to do next and the solution to the problem.
4. Manageability of the research
a. The timeline for the different components of the project will be decided later based on the situation then. But overall, the project will be done as quickly and carefully as we can, trying our best not to go out of point and staying as close to the topic as possible.
b. This research provides sufficient opportunity for group work as we will need to discuss a lot of matters regarding the project, for example who will be assigned to do what component of the project and we will have to work together.
c. We do anticipate some difficulties along the way, such as students not cooperating with us and lack of data. We intend to cope with these difficulties by trying to get the group to go and share their findings with each other and their part of the project.
5. Accessibility of the information required
a. Information/knowledge that will be relevant to our research would be the amount of time people usually spend gaming on average each day.
b. We will be obtaining this information from SST secondary 1 sources, and hopefully they will give us reliable and useful information.
c. Some problems we anticipate while gathering out information and data would be that the information that we can find is not entirely true as we think that no one would admit that they are addicted to playing computer games.